Divinity DarkRP
Players 36/128

Programming
03-02-2019, 01:40 PM
So I wanna learn a new language considering I've actually got python and C++ down
 Any suggestions?

[Image: 7vMIt43.png]

[Image: E20INM7.png]

Bumbles is my father and Fairyyy is my owner, meow.
03-02-2019, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2019 03:42 PM by Roses.)
Lua if you wanna do anything gmod/source related
Java EZ

uve already got the resourceful ones down

[Image: newsig.php?steamid=STEAM_0:0:16777112&am...eam=hacker]
03-02-2019, 08:32 PM
Define down. If you just know the syntax that’s half the battle, your next step is learning to optimally manage memory and work as fast as possible
03-03-2019, 04:34 AM
If you've already done C++ you could think of doing PHP in order to work on websites if you don't value your will to live. Though as much as I hate C# because C++ is just better (dont @ me snivy) it's becoming one of the main languages you use in the professional IT sector or just working as a programmer so learning that isn't the worst idea.

At the end of the day, it's up to you and what you want to do. Just don't do Lua please, it teaches you a load of bad habits and is relatively useless outside of GMod and a few games.

[Image: PlayerSig.php?steamid=STEAM_0:0:65796880...und=161616]
SpoilerShow
03-03-2019, 12:35 PM
I'm actually opposite of Teddy. I hate C++. It's incredible in its ability to manage memory, but it just isn't fun. It was created to run stuff as fast as possible with references and things like that, but modern computers are generally beefy enough not to worry about microseconds and shit. I understand that from a professional standpoint it's always better to be more efficient, but I just don't see all that much benefit in modern applications. Granted, there are instances where you will need to know c++ regardless, but whatever.

My two primary languages are Java and C# and I gotta say, they're both really beneficial and fun. At the end of the day, most programming for me is fun, so I don't know for sure.

[Image: 9tXYVxl.png]
03-30-2019, 12:12 PM
[Image: 1553266434847.jpg?width=1442&height=587]

Super Gay
"I CANNOT FIGHT THEM ALL ALONE" -Legend
[Image: NaAgfK2.png?1]
03-31-2019, 12:50 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2019 02:53 PM by Angrypygmy.)
You could pick up Lua in 5 minutes and wonder why indices start at 1 for the rest of your life. Java and C# are still the most widely used nowadays. If you know C / C++, anything else will be a breeze.

(03-03-2019 12:35 PM)Death Wrote:  I'm actually opposite of Teddy. I hate C++. It's incredible in its ability to manage memory, but it just isn't fun. It was created to run stuff as fast as possible with references and things like that, but modern computers are generally beefy enough not to worry about microseconds and shit. I understand that from a professional standpoint it's always better to be more efficient, but I just don't see all that much benefit in modern applications. Granted, there are instances where you will need to know c++ regardless, but whatever.

My two primary languages are Java and C# and I gotta say, they're both really beneficial and fun. At the end of the day, most programming for me is fun, so I don't know for sure.

Unless you're doing anything graphics related or a desktop application, you're right to a degree. If you havent messed with CPP smart pointers, check em' out one day. No more "malloc()", "free()", "new" or "delete". Heap allocations deallocate when they go outta scope when no more references / pointers exist, just like stack vars. Aka basically garbage collection, but less overhead. Cept' there's still overhead.

(03-03-2019 04:34 AM)Teddy Wrote:  Just don't do Lua please, it teaches you a load of bad habits and is relatively useless outside of GMod and a few games.

While I agree mostly, Lua is still probably the easiest beginner language of all time next to Python. I have seen some of the most cancer-inducing Lua code in my day, but that doesn't mean all Lua coders are autistic. I'm a C / C++ guy too, so doing Lua or any scripting language is a cakewalk. If he's already familiar with C++ or Python, its likely his habits in those languages will carry over to Lua. LuaJIT is still the fastest scripting / interpreted language in existence. I always wondered why everyone had a boner for Python, when Lua shits on it in terms of efficiency. The only thing that makes Lua different is there is one sole data structure and indices that start at 1. Thats literally it. Oh, and no OOP. BooHoo, use metatables, functions constructors or closures. Also, PHP is going to be ded in 5 years. Go with JS.

local Shape = {};
local ShapeMeta = {};

function ShapeMeta:__call( x,y,w,h )
    local this = {};
    this.w = w;
    this.h = h;
    -- Want privacy like an OOP language? Fine, setters + getters.
    function this:SetPos( newX, newY )
        x = newX;
        y = newY;
    end
    function this:GetPos()
        return x,y;
    end

function this:SetSize( w, h )
        self.w = w;
        self.h = h;
    end

return this;
end

setmetatable(Shape,ShapeMeta);

local rect = Shape( 64, 64, 32, 32 );
rect:SetSize( 128, 16 );

Theres your OOP.
04-05-2019, 11:06 PM
https://www.emojicode.org/

[Image: pqY7Mu8.png]

buy tpose hat
04-08-2019, 06:00 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2019 06:06 AM by Tequila Bowman.)
Ruby. Ruby has a very good balance between simplicity and capability. After you learn Ruby, learn Crystal since it has kind of the same syntax as Ruby but it is as fast as C#.

[Image: yjBuZZs.png]
SpoilerShow

yall know when you win 20 lottos in a row amounting to over 5 mil and then you gamble them all to your arch-nemesis in like 5 minutes
I do.
Quick Reply